Monday, April 16, 2012

Urban Farming

What if I were urban farmer after retirement?

When I think what is my dream, Sometime It occurs to me that maybe I want to be a farmer. As for social perception and reputation, That is a good dream to my parent and others who are related to me. Now, I think twice about the dream. Not in the paddy field, Not in the rural area But in the city. Nowadays, Some  innovative person start a business of being a urban farmer.

First company is Yourbackyardfarmer. Owner of the company is Donna Smith in Portland.
She was a family farmer at first. To produce veg and fruits for her family she started to plant vegs. Then She got a brilliant idea. Like realtor, She begun to sell her farming skill. She got a subscription from her community to make a organic farm by monthly fee. Once a week or twice, her employee visit the customer's farm and manage the farm and harvest vegs, then put basket in front of back yard door. Also her company provide consultation to someone who dose not want to visit often but need advise from the company. All charge depends on the service.


The other company is YUF(Young Urban Farmer) in Toronto. Young three people start the business to provide custom designed edible gardens since 2009. Unlike the first company which tried to make profit by selling their farming skill, They focused to sell raised bed gardens and organic garden kit. They are young like their company name. Therefore, they pay attention to social network for marketing. However, I think they need more matured marketing skill. Anyhow, they are young. Everything is possible for them, isn't It?


One of these day, after retiring I will start this business for sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment